Isabella Freedman offers a wide variety of activities from which to choose. Our talented and dynamic staff can custom tailor any program for your retreat or special event. Sample programs are listed below. (Prices vary depending on the program, number of participants and length of activity.)
For more information, please contact David Weisberg at 800.398.2630 x305 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Isabella Freedman Green Tour. From bamboo flooring to lightbulbs, from low flow toilets to solar panels, Isabella Freedman is a leading example of a green Jewish institution. Find out what we are doing (and what you can do) to lessen your carbon footprint when you take the green scavenger tour!
- Organic Farm Tour. Bring your group down to the Sadeh, our 4-acre vegetable field, to see where the vegetables begin! We can arrange a tour of the farm with our young Jewish farmers, who will introduce you to the wild and magical world of growing food in a Jewish context.
- Barnyard Tour. We honor the biblical shepherds in our past as we practice tzar ba'alei chayim (kindness to animals) in our organic goat dairy. Meet our friendly herd, learn about the artisanal organic kosher goat cheese we make at Isabella Freedman, and gain a new understanding of the historic similarities between Jews and goats!
- Guided tour of our unique Jewish garden. Take a walk through our very own gan eden (Garden of Eden) with a naturalist who will explain the meaning and design of our special Jewish seed-saving garden.
- Jewish Permaculture Tour. The Kaplan Family Farm is just a short walk from the Isabella Freedman campus. As you tour our organic fruit orchards, berry hedgerows, vegetable fields and compost-yard chickens, you will see how we are bringing the commandments in Genesis to life as we "till and tend" the land in ways that enable it to flourish for generations to come. Includes a special compost demonstration: Psalms teaches that, “the stone that the builders overlooked will be the cornerstone of the third Temple.” We are turning ‘waste’ into valuable fertilizer for our fields — something you can learn to do in your own garden.
- Service learning on the farm. Deepen your understanding of our food system and put your ecological values to action as you spend half a day lending a hand on our organic vegetable farm. Jewish tradition teaches us that we must work to repair the world: learn how we do this on our farm by using ecologically-restorative farming methods and cultivating a sense of awe and gratitude towards the natural world. No prior farm experience necessary.
- Pickle-making 101. At Isabella Freedman, we make organic kosher lacto-fermented products, including pickles and sauerkraut. Learn about the magic of fermentation as you follow the steps from cucumber to pickle. Participants will harvest and ferment their own jar of kosher dills (seasonal).
- Goat Milking. We milk our herd of 14 does every morning and evening. Small groups of people can come watch, and even try their hand at this amazing process. Experience first-hand the partnership between people and goats, as we care for our herd and harvest delicious milk for our cheese making business.
- Adamah Lectures. Many of the classes that are regularly taught in the Teva Learning Center can lead your group on hikes that integrate natural history with Jewish tradition. Hikes can be coordinated for children, adults, or family groups.
- Arts Program. Puppet-making. Clay. Painting. Crafts. Add a creative component to your retreat or event. Our talented artists can design two-hour or full weekend arts programs for adults and children.
- Childcare. Please inquire about options for childcare and shmira (cabin night watch) for groups.
- Children's Activities Programs. We can create a children’s program for any length of time — from an entire weekend to just a few hours.
- Custom Designed Nature/Adventure Program. The Berkshires is one of nature’s greatest playgrounds. We can arrange rock climbing, backpacking, caving, kayaking, tubing and ski trips at nearby locations.
- Ropes Course. We can offer a two-hour or three-hour low elements ropes course for 9–15 people on our own ropes course. Extensive high ropes course programs may be arranged off-site.
- Song Sessions. For those who love to sing but can’t remember all of the words or want musical accompaniment, we can lead your group in spirited and fun song sessions and singing at meals. We also offer indoor and outdoor campfire sing-alongs.
- Specialized Entertainment and Lectures. We can arrange for professional singers, comedians, storytellers and lecturers to entertain and educate your group.
- Swimming. We can provide a lifeguard for your group to use the pool or lake.
- Other Programs. Let us know your interests. We may be able to accommodate them.